Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 1

We arrived here late Friday night.  The flight was great, thankfully we were seated next to a pediatrician, who didn't mind reading Genevieve's Elmo book about 5 times.
Saturday morning Genevieve got up at 6:20am, about 2 hours earlier than her normal time.  I figured we would both get to sleep in since she didn't go to bed until 9:30pm the night before, I was wrong.  So instead my father's wife & I decided that we would get the kids ready and take the train into Boston.  I really wanted to go into the city and take advantage of all the things to do while I am here, so I was excited to start off this vacation just the way I had hoped.  By 10:30, we had packed our lunch, got the kids ready, & were on our way to the "T".

IMG_2861
Gigi loved the train ride, especially when we were all squished as sardines.

IMG_2863
Clearly, the unexpected bus ride was not as thoroughly enjoyed.

IMG_2868
For some reason I  have never noticed this paramount sign in downtown crossing.

IMG_2872
An outside bookstore? How cool.

IMG_2873
Once we finally made it to the public garden everyone was happy. Gigi's new favorite, nutella & banana sandwich.

After lunch we let the kids run around a bit & Genevieve got her first cut on her face.  She face planted into the pavement while running for the ducks.  We walked around the city for a while & I felt like a huge tourist. I haven't really explored the city in about 10-15 years and my mindset has changed so much since then.  I really want to be able to experience everything I had taken advantage of when I lived here, so "tourist" it is at least for one more trip into town.  We walked the majority of Newbury Street, which is great for people watching.  I had really wanted to go into Harvard Square, but we couldn't find the train, the kids were getting cranky, and we were getting tired.  The train/bus ride home was a disaster, with all the work the MBTA is doing on the red line.  So with two very cranky children, we made a stop at South Station for some fast food essentials.  Later on in the evening my family all went out to dinner at this hole in the wall for pizza & beers.  I had never been to this place before and it was interesting.

IMG_2882
After only a 30 minute nap, at 6pm she is still going strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment